Kolwezi (Congo RDC)

Rehabilitation of the Mandeleo 5 school

From 1950 onwards, the Sisters of the Congo Vicariate established five schools for children from families of modest means, on a large piece of land in Cité district, on the outskirts of Kolwezi. One of these is Mandeleo School, whose name means development in Swahili, the language most widely spoken in Kolwezi.

Mandeleo 5 has a roll of 850 and 14 primary classes. However the premises are no longer in sufficiently good condition and will require major rebuilding work to level the ground paving and upgrade the windows.



Total funding requested = 35 800 €

A second stage of building works is currently being considered to strengthen the basic structure of Mandeleo 5 and to supply teaching materials currently lacking. Parents have already pledged to cover the cost of new benches.