The Congregation of Notre-Dame in Vietnam.
Brief history of the vicarage
In 1935, responding to the call of Pope Pio XI, the 12 missionary sisters of the Notre Dame congregation set sail and crossed the ocean. They arrived at Lang Bian Mountain in Da Lat, Viet Nam. A convent and a school for young girls were built. Then small schools for poor children in mountain villages grew rapidly ((MLon, Trường Xuân, Công Hinh).
In 1937, the sisters left for the north of Viet Nam, they opened the Notre-Dame du Rosaire school, 5 km from the capital Ha Noi, but because of the war, they had to leave this region in 1954.
In 1950, the missionary sisters also went south. The community of Regina Mundi is installed in Saigon, then a kindergarten and a school soon to be built, with the portals wide open to receive the girls. The sisters said to each other in joy "Let's make them grow"!
The spirituality of the Incarnation always remains primordial and the educational mission exists until today in very different environments: school, parish, hospital.
Each year, the vicarage welcomes around 6 new postulants.
The sisters are 106 in total in 2020.
The essence of what drives our presence in this countryTo live the spirituality of the Incarnation, to live in communion between sisters and to collaborate with lay people to devote oneself to education for a more just and fraternal society.
Locations and main activitiesToday, the Notre-Dame sisters are present and render service in the five dioceses of South Viet Nam:
- Lam Dong: catechesis in two parishes; support for young people, in particular young people from ethnic minorities; work with the Caritas of the diocese.
- Ban Me Thuot: formation of catechists and awakening to the faith of mountain dwellers in three parishes, remedial classes for primary school.
- Xuan Loc: nursery school; education in the faith in a large parish, support for young immigrant workers, care for isolated elderly people.
- Sai Gon: formation houses in four stages (aspirandate, postulancy, novitiate, scholasticate); free primary and secondary school for the poor; catechesis and formation of catechists in several parishes, teaching in state schools and universities, counseling, theological and biblical teaching in inter-congregational institutes, diagnostic medical center, teaching of French and English languages, biblical translation ...
- Long Xuyen: two homes for high school girls and students, support for young people in the countryside.