Hungary

The Congregation of Our Lady in Hungary.



History

Why and how did a community of the Sisters of Our Lady come into being in Zalaergerszeg?

Its origin is linked, on the one hand, to political events in France and on the other hand to a request from the Bishop of Székesfehérvár in Hungary.
Following the law of separation of Church and State in France, the sisters can no longer teach, and at the same time the Bishop of Székesfehérvár wishes the arrival of French sisters to open a school where the language and the culture French would be taught.

In 1905, from Mattaincourt 9 nuns left for Zsàmbék, then for Törökbàlint in 1908. They arrived in Zalaegerszeg in 1928, called by the future Cardinal Mindszenty, then parish priest of this city and who wanted a girls' school to promote cultural life and religious.
In 1948, the nationalization prohibited them from teaching and, in 1950, they had to leave the community with a ban on regrouping.
The dispersion lasted until 1993.

On August 28 the school will be reopened thanks to the will of 18 nuns and the significant help of the Generalate and the communities of Europe.

Due to its history, very close links exist between Hungary and France, including during the communist period.



Today 2 French sisters, Françoise DEBEAUPTE and Marie-Thérèse CLEMENT have come to join the 3 Hungarian sisters, Ildikó MARKUS, Sister Mercédesz and Sister Julia.

Our mission :
- be a presence of the Congregation within the 3 schools,

Mindszenty,

 

Bucsu,

 

Salomvar,









This year, we participated actively, with 7 other Congregations, in the preparation of the meeting of the young people of the diocese of Szombathely which took place on Saturday March 28 at the Mindszenty school on the theme "a day with friends". Almost 500 young people were present.

About forty young people from the school took an active part and helped it run smoothly.

A round table allowed the expression of several witnesses from different religious families: Salesians, Dominicans, Franciscans…

Numerous workshops were offered with active methods to help people discover several aspects of religious life.

A musical group "Forró Cappuccino" (hot coffee), led by Franciscans brought together the young people at the beginning of the afternoon in a festive atmosphere.

A Eucharist, chaired by our Bishop: Monsignor Andràs Vérès concluded this day.